Tuesday 9 February 2010

Time at the Piano in New York

Just uploaded a new article to my website about my time in New York working on the World Trade Center disaster, and developing a new application for the Office of Chief Medical Examiner.

I think this is the third version I have written. The first appeared in Dialogue Magazine circa Winter 2001/2002, and I have no idea how to get hold of a copy.

The second was included in a volume of writings post 9/11 called 'On The Ground After 9/11' (ISBM: 789029073).

In this version, amongst other things, I compare DataEase and Ffenics to a piano, and the consultant to a pianist. A piano can't do everything. But compare the solo piano version of 'Rhapsody in Blue' to the full orchestral score, for example, and it is clear that on its own it does a pretty good version.

Similiarly, the piano is not every instrument, but is still a damn good solo instrument for beginner and virtuoso alike.

So it is with Ffenics. In the hands of a good solo performer, you can put together a pretty decent application to solve your small business needs.

Even in the hands of a rank amateur, does it not make a pleasing sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment